Search This Blog

Friday 8 April 2011

The American

I was supposed to watch this months ago at the London Film fest but just didn't wake up early enough so decided to now. Another film I wouldn't really watch but as the director directed one of the most visually stunning films I've seen Control, I decided it was one to see and to also see how he's moved on from his first feature which was basically an extension of his photographs of rock stars.

The American relied heavily on visuals as we saw George Clooney drift through life completing a mission in Rome. Never being able to relax and always looking out to see if someones after him. Not much is said rather more is done, he visits the same prostitute whilst in Rome and they form a relationship an unconventional one both shadow dwellers.

Its watchable and at most an enjoyable film but obviously not for all, I did like it but there was some points that I felt it was dragging on but then more scenes of beauty appeared and I got lost in those for the moment and that was what carried me through the film. Anton Corbjin makes a good director and it will be interesting to see where he goes next.

No comments: