Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Naked

I don't know if I could say I was a Mike Leigh fan as I have not seen enough films of his but I do know that Another Year moved me and was so layered and like any good piece of art led me to think about existence and our happiness being boiled down to luck, I've seen Happy go lucky which I found a so/so and now Naked which I must say is also so/so for me. Leigh is a revered name in British Cinema and I found his construction of characters and realism riveting in Another Year and I expected to see that here but I just got ramblings.

Johnny the main character who is nothing short of a tramp runs away from Manchester in search of his ex, Sophie he seems to glide in and out of womens lives with his cockiness being enough to capture their attention and allow for him to have sex with them. He is a smart individual well read and with a unique outlook on life but fails to grasp the moment and fails to move forward with his life, he is lucky enough to rely on the kindness of strangers but in no way decides to take notice of this and is living purely to live.

It's a long film not rubbish but not groundbreaking or thought provoking as Leigh's latests, I want to watch more of Leigh's films and to form my own opinion of his work 

No comments: